Duncan Dyker and friends play music from the great fiddle collections. Duncan, several times National Mod solo champion, plays a fiddle of his own making in a distinctive Highland style, supported by members of the group BIRL and guest musician Dougie Pincock.
Drawing on over 200 years of Scottish music, the musicians have selected tunes on the basis of quality, and arranged and performed them with respect, sensitivity and enjoyment. The great composers are represented - the Gows, Marshall, Mackintosh, Skinner etc - but some of the joy of this recording is the discovery of amazing tunes from lesser-known sources which are rarely performed.
Duncan's fine playing is set off by a variety of accompaniments and group playing, plus two songs in Gaelic and Scots in which the voice and fiddle are in partnership. The album presents an enjoyable programme of good Scottish tunes in 16 tracks and about an hour's playing time.
- Air: Miss Lamont of Lamont [ 3.19 ]
- Strathspeys & reels: Bog an Lochan, The Highlander's Farewell to Ireland, MacFarlane's Rant, Arthur's Seat, The Cottar's Wife [ 3.32 ]
- Air, strathspey & reel: Roslin Castle, The Warlocks, The Witches [ 4.08 ]
- Air & reel: Miss MacLeod of Dalvey's Favourite, William's Love [ 3.21 ]
- Jigs: Miss Jane Douglas's Favorite, Miss Mary Mackay's Reel, Miss Barbara Hay's Favorite [ 3.22 ]
- Air, march, strathspey & reel: Hector the Hero, The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld, The Brig o' Potarch, The Baker
- Air/Song: Major Graham of Inchbrakie/My luve is like a red, red rose [ 4.08 ]
- Air: Lament for Lord Ballenden [ 2.08 ]
- Air, strathspey & reel: Mrs Hamilton of Pencaitland, Lady Caroline Montague, Fife Hunt [ 3.57 ]
- Strathspeys: Forbes Morrison, The Miller of Drone, Miss Drummond of Perth, The Laird o' Thrums [ 4.18 ]
- Air: The Farewell [ 1.52]
- Song: ‘S olc a dh'fhag an uiridh mi (Last year you left me) [ 5.06 ]
- March: Highland Wedding [ 2.10 ]
- Air, reels: The Banks of the Deveron, Dr Stewart's Reel, Mr Gillan's Reel [ 3.28 ]
- Reels: Leslie, Nine Pint Coggie, Torry Burn, Jenny Dang the Weaver [ 2.48 ]
- Air: Aldivalloch [ 3.59 ]